To fulfill Enlightium Academy’s mission of being a light to the world for the glory of God, and in being driven to make a difference in hearts and minds, Enlightium Academy high school students are required to complete 10 hours of community service per grade level in order to graduate and receive a diploma. Additionally, many colleges and employers look at community service as a way for students to stand out amongst their peers. This is especially the case when students can demonstrate going above and beyond the minimum requirements while maintaining above average grades and participating in other extracurricular activities. 80% of colleges and universities agree that service history details impact the final decision of admittance. Local volunteering opportunities can be found and volunteer hours tracked within our partner platform, Naviance, x2VOL.
Community service can be completed for a non-profit and/or religious organization. It is a great way for students to give back to their community and to promote personal growth. Here are some ways students can earn their community service hours:
- Participating in the local church community involvement
- Assisting in retirement homes and centers
- Reading and tutoring in elementary schools
- Volunteering in church settings
- Assisting in homeless shelters
- Volunteering at a humane society
EA recommends that parents/guardians help their student in finding a safe environment to work on community service hours and leverage the search features in Naviance for volunteering opportunities. Parental involvement is encouraged while the student is engaging in his or her community service. It is a great way to model a giving heart to the community in need.
Students record community service through the Naviance platform utilized by EA. Naviance is a college and career readiness solution that helps EA align student strengths and interests to postsecondary goals, improving student outcomes, and connecting learning to life. The student is provided login credentials to Naviance during enrollment.
Community Service Hours Awards
Students who participate in and record more than the required community service may receive certificates, credits towards the next year’s tuition, or scholarship opportunities (additional evidence may be required):
- 10 community service hours per academic year - Required
- 20+ community service hours per academic year - Recognition Certificate
- 40+ community service hours per academic year - Exceptional Recognition Certificate
- 60+ community service hours per academic year - Outstanding Recognition Certificate and tuition credit or scholarship:
- Students in grades 9-11 - $250 tuition credit for the following school year
- Students in grade 12 - $250 scholarship per graduation towards college or university
Students can receive a maximum of 8 hours of community service per day. This includes events that last longer than 8 hours a day, such as participation in a mission trip or volunteering as a camp counselor.
Tracking Student Community Service Hours
Students will track their hours online by logging into x2VOL, a service offered within Naviance Student. This service makes tracking, logging, verifying, and applying hours to meet the service requirements quick and easy. x2VOL will allow students to reflect upon their community service experiences, upload documents and pictures, and print Service Transcripts all in one place. A verification request is automatically sent via email when the community service hours are submitted for approval.
Volunteering. The more you give the more you get.
- Develop leadership skills
- Prepare for your chosen career
- Meet or exceed your service goals
- Make lifelong friends
- Find out some new things about yourself