Students who have been enrolled at EA for two years or more are required to complete at least thirty-two (32) hours of community service over the course of the student’s high school years (9th-12th grade). If a student enrolled in Enlightium Academy for the first time as a senior, only eight (8) hours are required. All hours must be completed prior to receiving a diploma. If any activity lasts more than one day (such as camps), a maximum of 8 hours is allowed to be counted for one day.
Community service can be any service that is done for a non-profit and/or religious organization. It is a great way for students to give back to their community and to promote personal growth. Here are some ways students can earn their community service hours:
- Assisting in retirement homes and centers
- Reading and tutoring in elementary schools
- Volunteering in church settings
- Assisting in homeless shelters
- Volunteering at a humane society
EA recommends that parents/guardians help their student in finding a safe environment to work on community service hours. Parental involvement is encouraged while the student is engaging in his or her community service.
Students record community service through Naviance. Naviance is a college and career readiness solution that helps Enlightium Academy align student strengths and interests to postsecondary goals, improving student outcomes and connecting learning to life. The student and parents are provided login credentials to Naviance shortly after enrollment.
Community Service Hours Awards
Students who participate in and record more than the required community service may receive certificates, credits towards the next year’s tuition, or scholarship opportunities (additional evidence may be required):
- 8 community service hours per academic year - Required
- 30+ community service hours per academic year - Recognition Certificate
- 60+ community service hours per academic year - Recognition Certificate
- Students in grades 9-11 - $250 tuition credit for the following school year
- Students in grade 12 - $250 scholarship per graduation towards college or university
Tracking Student Community Service Hours
Students can track their hours online by logging into x2VOL, a service offered within Naviance. This service makes tracking and logging hours to meet your service requirements quick and easy. You can find service opportunities and write about your experience via Reflections. We even match service opportunities to the things you care about the most, so every hour matters even more.
Community service is important: 80% of colleges and universities surveyed by x2VOL agree that service history details impact the final decision of admittance.
Volunteering. The more you give the more you get.
- Develop leadership skills
- Prepare for your chosen career
- Meet or exceed your service goals
- Make lifelong friends
- Find out some new things about yourself