A Parent-Teacher Conference (PTC) is a meeting by email or phone between the parents or guardians of a student and his/her teacher. Both parties discuss the student’s strengths and weaknesses in a particular course to determine how to best assist the student moving forward.
At Enlightium Academy, Parent-Teacher Conferences will take place during the month of November 2017 and the month of February 2018.
What is the value of a PTC?
There are many stakeholders in a child’s education: school administration, the student’s counselor, the student’s teachers, the student and the parents. Parent-Teacher Conferences are an opportunity for teachers and parents to meet, often for the first time, and have an open discussion about the student’s academic performance. Topics discussed can include:
- Observations on the student’s overall progress in the class
- Specific strengths
- Specific areas for improvement
- Suggestions on ways that the student can grow
- Helpful resources
- Any questions the family might have
Flexibility in Scheduling
We know that many families are busy or traveling, which is why we made PTCs available for an entire month (or more). The parents will still be able to easily plan a day and time that works for them and their student’s teacher. The way it works is:
- Families submit the PTC form below
- Depending on which form of communication the family chose, the teacher reaches out with one of the following:
- If by phone, the teacher will send an email with a link to schedule a conference for a day and time based on the teacher’s availability. The teachers are available for PTCs for an entire month, and even longer if needed.
- If by email, the teacher will send a Teacher Detailed Report, which is a thorough review of the student’s performance. Parents can continue to communicate with the teacher in the same email thread.
What Will PTCs Look Like for Parents?
- Based on the program support level the student is enrolled in (Gold, Silver, etc.), the PTC will be either by phone or email; see “Parent-Teacher Conferences by Student Program” below for more details.
- The first contact for both phone and email conferences will be by email.
- Conferences begin at the beginning of PTC month and conferences are held in the order in which the forms were submitted.
- Parents who submitted the form early in the registration process can anticipate receiving an email from their student’s teacher earlier in the month, whereas parents who submitted the form later in the registration process will likely receive an email later in the month.
Parent-Teacher Conferences by Student Program
Diamond and Gold students (grades 3-12) - conferences are by phone or email.
Silver Premium, Silver and Bronze students (grades 3-12) - conferences are by email.
Primary school students (grades Prek-2) - conferences are conducted monthly with Ms. Fenina, so no Parent-Teacher Conference Form should be submitted.
Steps for Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Log in to your parent portal or the student’s portal to see in which course to select the Parent-Teacher Conference.
- Please note that EA’s Parent-Teacher Conferences are designed to focus on quality PTCs over quantity. This means that for each student, only one or two courses should be chosen for a PTC, allowing teachers to dedicate more time to each conference. We recommend choosing the course where the student has the most room for improvement. However, parents are encouraged to reach out to teachers throughout the school year as needed.
- Submit the Parent-Teacher Conference Form. The form must be submitted by Sunday, January 28th to register for the February 2018 PTC.
- Your student’s teacher will reach out to you via email. Due to the volume of PTC requests, the emails are sent in the order in which they were received, so the conferences might carry over into March.
- Students in the Diamond or Gold program
- If you choose to have the conference via email, you will be provided a Teacher Detailed Report of the student’s performance and suggestions for improvement. You are encouraged to email the teacher throughout the year as needed to continue to learn how to best assist your student and evaluate progress.
- If you choose a phone call for the PTC, you will receive an email with a link to schedule the phone call sometime during the month of February.
- Students in the Silver Premium, Silver or Bronze program - You will be provided a Teacher Detailed Report of the student’s performance and suggestions for improvement. You are encouraged to email the teacher throughout the year as needed to continue to learn how to best assist your student and evaluate progress.
- Students in the Diamond or Gold program
- Monitor the student’s progress throughout the school year. You are strongly encouraged to log into the parent or student portal at least once a week to see your student’s progress and grades. You are also encouraged to reach out to any of your student’s teachers or the counselor at any point during the school year as needed, instead of waiting until Parent-Teacher Conferences to discuss any issues the student may be experiencing.
The following dates will not be available for Parent-Teacher Conferences:
Monday, February 19th - School will be closed due to President’s Day. EA’s office will be closed but students will still have access to Ignitia.
If You Have Any Questions...
If you need a teacher’s contact information, reference the welcome letter that was sent to the primary parent at the beginning of the year. Your student can also ask the teacher through an Ignitia message.
If you would like to talk to the faculty coordinator, contact Irina Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.