Arkansas Homeschooling Requirements
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) that has served homeschool, online, and co-op school students in K-12 since 2003. As K-12 education policies are different in each state, it is a parental responsibility to check on their state’s homeschool requirements and fulfill them as applicable. To assist parents with this process, Enlightium provides basic information about each state’s requirements. Parents are also encouraged to review their state’s requirements at hslda.org/legal and/or Arkansas Department of Education, as educational policies are subject to change over time.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states and Washington D.C.; however, with a freedom to educational opportunities comes a responsibility to understand and fulfill legal requirements. This can be worrisome, yet you’re not alone in this endeavour. Enlightium Academy is here to help!
Please, note that the resources below serve as a starting point for your family; it is important that you research Arkansas homeschool requirements.
Arkansas’s Homeschool Requirements at a Glance
Notifying the State
Homeschooling families in Arkansas are required to inform their local public school district superintendent of their intent to homeschool. Your family only needs to do this each year by August 15 or within a week upon enrolling or re-enrolling your student at Enlightium Academy.. There is no specific form provided by the state for you to submit, though your notice must be submitted in writing as indicated below.
Include the following information for each homeschooled student in your family:
- Date of birth
- Grade level
- Previous school’s name and address, if applicable. You can include the year(s) at a different public or private school and the year(s) at Enlightium Academy
Additionally, include your (NOT that belonging to Enlightium Academy):
- Mailing address
- Phone number
The notice must also include a statement from you that you are in charge of your student’s education. Include your name and signature. Keep a record of the notice in your homeschool portfolio (folder) and then submit originals to your local public school district superintendent.
If withdrawing mid-year from a public school, plan to submit the intent to homeschool right away. If moving mid-year to Arkansas or to a new school district, you must submit a new intent to homeschool notice within 30 days.
Ages four or younger:
Students are not required to attend school, but can enroll in primary school at Enlightium Academy to have a head start and be ready for Kindergarten.
Aged five on or before August 1:
Students must attend school during that academic year; this includes homeschooling under the umbrella of Enlightium Academy. Students must continue their education at a school of their parents’ choice until they turn 17 or receive a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Arkansas students are not required to have teachers with specific credentials or qualifications.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state and/or ACSI certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. The teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Learn more at our Teachers page.
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and for students in grades 3-10 Bronze support package. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support
The Arkansas Department of Education does not require any specific courses.
After you enroll/re-enroll and before your student starts courses at Enlightium Academy, your student’s counselor will send you an email with a recommended course schedule consisting of core courses and, if applicable, courses that fulfill Enlightium’s graduation requirements. Your student can also select from Enlightium’s elective courses.
The Arkansas Department of Education does not require a standardized test for homeschooled students. However, Enlightium provides multiple assessment options to help you see how your student is progressing per given grade level:
- Grades 3-8: IXL diagnostic assessments
- Grades 3-10: Stanford 10 standardized assessment
- Grades 9-12: Guidance for college-preparatory assessments such as PSAT, SAT, and/or ACT
Keep a Portfolio
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so please keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy which should include:
- Attendance - Enlightium provides your family with weekly progress reports. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
- Curriculum information and samples - Enlightium provides its families with both curriculum overviews by grade level and samples by course.
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide them during the enrollment/re-enrollment process based on the student’s grade level: Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Grades - Enlightium provides report cards for all students after quarters 1 and 3 and report cards/transcripts at the end of semesters 1 and 2.
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, and the Presidential Award.
- Social/Competition Achievements - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
Enlightium Parents App with Group for Arkansas Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in Arkansas to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Your family will be automatically added to this group upon enrolling at Enlightium and downloading the Enlightium Parents app (which is provided upon enrollment).
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process and select the blue button near the top of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
Sources reviewed in June 2021: