Tennessee: Online Private School and Homeschool Regulations/Laws
Tennessee trusts accrediting agencies to govern private schools. Enlightium Academy is accredited by both AdvancEd and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). With these high standards, Enlightium Academy fulfills Tennessee’s requirements for private schools.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school, but since students learn from home, many school district superintendents consider Enlightium Academy to be a homeschool. This is why it is very important when speaking to your local school district superintendent to note that Enlightium Academy is an accredited, College-prep private school, which should satisfy Tennessee state requirements. Resources for homeschooling requirements in the state of Tennessee can be found at the bottom of this article.
Church-related schools must meet the standards from a list of Tennessee-approved qualified accrediting organizations. Enlightium Academy is accredited by one of these organizations, the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). Additionally, Enlightium Academy is accredited through AdvancEd. Learn more about Enlightium Academy’s accreditation on the Accreditations and Memberships page.
To fulfil compulsory attendance laws, students must attend a school that meets one of seven categories. Enlightium Academy falls under Category III as it is accredited by AdvancEd, an accrediting organization which contains the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
It is possible for a school district superintendent to classify Enlightium Academy as a Category IV school where the student is homeschooled with the parent/guardian meeting the requirements or are associated with a church-related school to deliver instruction at home. The remainder of this article follows the path of Enlightium Academy being a Category III school due to the high accreditation standards of AdvancEd. Again, defer to the judgement of your school district superintendent for how to classify Enlightium Academy.
Additionally, students must attend school from ages 6 through 17.
As a Category III school, Enlightium Academy falls under its accreditors’ requirements/recommendations for testing. ACSI and AdvancEd both require an annual assessment, which is why Enlightium Academy has teamed with Pearson to provide students the Stanford 10 annual assessment. The test is taken in the Spring and is available to currently enrolled students in grades 3–10.
High school students must have one year of American history and government (TCA 49-6-1202). The following courses offered by Enlightium Academy may fulfill this requirement:
Students with Handicaps
Families with handicapped children may be able to receive financial assistance in providing services:
A Special Education Services Association may make arrangements and pay private schools for services to handicapped children if the association is unable to provide satisfactory service with its own facilities or the facilities of member school districts. TCA 49-10-205.
Category III schools must meet the professional development standards as laid out by its accrediting association. Enlightium Academy fulfills this by conducting 12 hours of professional development training annually and providing each employee with professional development opportunities.
Admissions Articles by Enlightium Academy
- Steps to Take If Your Homeschool Student Has No Official Records
- 3 Things to Remember When Speaking with Your School District
- Fulfilling the Standardized Assessment Requirement
- www2.ed.gov - review this if your school district superintendent considers Enlightium Academy as a CAtegory IV school
Resources If Your School District Superintendent Considers Your Student a Homeschooler
How to Enroll
- To become familiar with the enrollment process at Enlightium Academy, you can watch this short video.
- Consider chatting with an academic consultant to see which teacher support and involvement tuition package would be best with our online curriculum. This will also give you an inside point of contact for questions and comments about our school.
- Toll-free phone number: (866)488-4818
- Once you’re ready to enroll, you’ll need to pay the enrollment fee by visiting here and clicking on the blue button near the top of the page.
- Complete the enrollment form. Here you can elaborate on your student's needs, desires and preferences for the counselor.
- Our admissions team will contact you to discuss the next steps. You’re invited to reach out to us (at the number above) if you have questions at any time.
For any other questions about Tennessee private school laws, or online school education in general, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative education option for educating your child from home. Our program offers the comfort of a homeschool education environment and the quality of a private school education curriculum. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher-supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of Tennessee, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.