How Texas Families can Enroll at Enlightium Academy
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and has served homeschool, online, and co-op school K-12 students since 2003. In general, state institutions recognize Enlightium Academy as an out-of-state private school that allows students to transfer in or transfer out to public and private schools. Enlightium Academy provides our families with generic information about their state’s requirements, though parents are also encouraged to review their state’s requirements at hslda.org/legal and/or the Texas Education Agency, as educational policies are subject to change over time. Once enrolled at Enlightium Academy, join our Texas Group in Enlightium’s Parents app to connect with Texas families.
The resources below serve as a starting point for research for your family.
Texas’s Homeschooling Requirements at a Glance
|Parent Notifies State||No|
|Academic Calendar Requirement||No|
|Keep a Portfolio||Yes|
Parent Notifies the State
Texas parents are not required to notify the state that they are homeschooling their children. However, the school district in which you reside may request that you provide written notification of your intent to homeschool your student. In this case, Texas families with students enrolled at Enlightium Academy can request a Verification of Enrollment Form.
Texas requires a written curriculum for students. At Enlightium Academy, we offer several curriculum options that you can choose from:
- Alpha Omega Publications - A book-based, parent-led homeschool curriculum for students in grades PreK3 through 2nd grade
- Bob Jones University - A book- and video-based, parent-led homeschool curriculum for students in grades PreK4 through 5th grade
- Ignitia - An online text- and video-based parent and/or teacher-led curriculum for students in grades 3-12
- Sapphire Live - A real-time teacher-led program for students around the world in grades 3-12 using an advanced curriculum
Ages five and younger
While Texas does not require five-year-olds to attend school, students should be adequately prepared for 1st grade. You can enroll your student in Enlightium Academy’s primary school program to prepare them for Kindergarten or 1st grade, as applicable.
Ages six through 19
Students in Texas must continue their education at a school of their parent’s choice until they either graduate or turn 19. This includes homeschooling with Enlightium Academy.
The Texas Education Agency requires the following subjects:
- Spelling and grammar
- A course in “good citizenship”
The above subjects are core courses at Enlightium Academy and will be assigned by your student’s counselor upon admission. Credits earned at Enlightium Academy are accredited and are transferable to another public or private K-12 school, and high school transcripts are recognized by colleges and universities worldwide.
The Texas Education Agency does not require students to have teachers with specific credentials or qualifications. This means that students can enroll in any of Enlightium Academy’s parent-led or teacher-led support programs.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state- and/or ACSI-certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. Enlightium’s teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Meet Enlightium’s teachers!
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and the Bronze support package for students in grades 3-10. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers, while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support.
The Texas Education Agency does not require a standardized test for homeschooled students. However, Enlightium provides multiple annual assessment options to help you see how your student is progressing:
- Grades Prek-2: IXL diagnostic assessments; you can also opt out of an assessment
- Grades 3-8: IXL diagnostic assessments or Iowa Complete Annual Assessment; you can also opt out of an assessment
- Grades 9-12: Guidance for college-preparatory assessments such as the PSAT, SAT and/or ACT
Earn an Accredited High School Diploma
When looking for a partner in high-quality education for your student, accreditation matters. When a school holds accreditation status, such as Enlightium Academy, this means that an outside agency has thoroughly vetted its academic programs for rigorousness, quality, and adherence to educational standards.
In addition to providing credits that can easily transfer between schools, another benefit of accreditation is that it puts a stamp of approval on graduates. If a student graduates from an accredited school, they demonstrate that they are ready to study at a college level. This is important to colleges and universities when reviewing a new student's acceptance.
Keep a portfolio
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so please keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy. This should include:
- Attendance - Enlightium provides your family with progress reports via email. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
- Curriculum information and samples - Enlightium provides its families with both curriculum overviews by grade level and samples by course.
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide academic plans during the admission process for each of our four divisions of grades: Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Grades - Enlightium provides report cards and/or transcripts for all students at the end of each quarter.
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, Outstanding Improvement, and the Presidential Award.
- Social/Competition Achievements - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
The Enlightium Parents App with Group for Texas Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in Texas to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process, and select the blue button in the first section of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher-supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (509) 319-2288, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
We review state requirements and regulations annually; however, each state may update its guidelines more frequently. If you have additional questions, please contact your state board of education.
Sources checked in March of 2023: