How to Help Your Child Develop Their God-Given Talents

How to Help Your Child Develop Their God-Given Talents

Are talents given from above or developed? Some may say they are God-given, others may say they are developed with time.

Both are true: talents are given and developed.

How to help your child develop their god given talents pin

Psalm 139:13-14 reminds us that God pieced us together, stitch-by-stitch, and made us wonderful. He gave us each talents that we can use to glorify His name. Your child has been given talents from the Creator of the Universe, which is a gift that is truly amazing.

Talents must also be developed. If given talents are not polished daily, they can become useless. For example, certain children are noticeably gifted in music, yet without practicing daily, that talent will lead nowhere. As parents we should be the ones to encourage our children to endure through practicing.

So how can you help develop your child’s talents? Here are some suggestions:

1. Identify your child’s talents

Be attentive to your children’s true talents. What are they naturally gifted in doing? What do they truly enjoy doing? Have a conversation with them about what you see in them, what they see in themselves and how all talent is a gift from God.

2. Work with your child

It is important to work with your children – even if they think differently than you do. Remember that God has given them a unique perspective and although it is not as developed as yours, it is valid. If your children have a different idea of how they would like to practice and develop their talents, consider letting them try it for a given time in order to see what works best for them.

3. Support and encourage your child

Children need consistent support while they are young. A parent should not assume that a child could learn the needed skills without support. Parents need to invest in their children daily by working alongside them on schoolwork and extracurricular activities. Without parental involvement, a child is unlikely to properly develop his or her talents.

A fellow teacher once said, “A child needs 1% of giftedness; the other 99% comes from a dedicated mother who makes sure that daily practice takes place.”

In the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14 -30), Jesus says that to those who utilize what they're given effectively, more is given; while those who hide what is given lose it. As a parent, you have an opportunity to help your children succeed with the talents God has given them.

Be aware of your children's talents and help them develop properly. It is also very important to be consistent in encouraging them to practice daily until it becomes a habit.

What talents have you noticed in your children? How are you helping to develop them?

Learn More Take Me There


Understanding Pentecost: The Fulfillment of God’s ...
Better Course Notes. Better Grades. 5 Strategies t...

Related Posts