New Jersey Online Private Homeschooling Laws
If you have not homeschooled before, the idea of transitioning your students into an online school might seem like a daunting task; especially if you know that there are different home schooling requirements and regulations for each state. However, if you live in New Jersey, I have good news for you: your state has some of the fewest regulations for choosing an alternative to public school!
Compulsory School Attendance Age
In New Jersey, the compulsory school attendance ages are 6 through 16. Between your child’s 6th birthday and 16th birthday, you are required by law to ensure your child is enrolled in a school. Nevertheless, the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) recommends that you follow school laws even beyond the age of 16 through the completion of high school. This is because certain paperwork (e.g., attendance records or other academic records) might be requested of you in situations such as obtaining a driver’s license as a minor, enlisting in the military, applying to colleges, or demonstrating eligibility for Social Security benefits.
The only other regulations of which you must be aware are the laws regarding education equivalency, recordkeeping, and student withdrawal.
New Jersey’s homeschooling law regarding education requires that your student will receive an education academically equivalent to the public school education. The keyword to which we must pay attention here is “equivalent.” The education you offer your children at home must be “equivalent,” not “identical” to the education public school offers. This means you must ensure that your student is receiving an education that covers the following requirements in high school:
- Language arts (4 years)
- Math (3 years)
- Science (3 years)
- World history (1 year)
- Civics and/or U.S. and New Jersey history (2 years)
- Health/safety/physical education (2.5 hours per week for 4 years)
- Financial/economic or business/entrepreneurial (1 semester)
- Visual or performing arts (1 year)
- World language (1 year, or show proficiency)
- Career/technical/vocational (1 year)
- “Technological literacy,” civics, economics, geography, and “global content” (not as separate subjects, but “integrated” throughout).
Families enrolled in Enlightium Academy simply need to notify their counselor during or shortly after enrolling of the state’s requirements. Your student’s counselor will assign the appropriate courses from EA’s vast list of electives.
New Jersey’s homeschooling law does not regulate recordkeeping at all; however, it is always advised to keep a good record of the education of your students just in case you need to recall them in the future. For such purposes, it is beneficial to have records of attendance, the details of the curriculum used, standardized test results, and more.
Enlightium Academy conducts all recordkeeping for its students and provides the Stanford 10 standardized assessment annually. Families can request progress records, student grade, and more at any time.
The homeschooling laws in New Jersey do not regulate withdrawal procedures either. However, if transitioning from a physical school into the online schooling system, communicating to the previous school that you have enrolled your student in an online school will ensure that your children will not be marked as absent or truant.
Families with students enrolled in Enlightium Academy will receive a list of steps which includes formally withdrawing your student from any previous school in order to avoid possible confusion or miscommunication.
Helpful Resources for getting started with homeschooling and online private schooling in New Jersey:
- HSLDA: New Jersey
- ProPublica: Homeschooling Regulations by State
- State of New Jersey Department of Education
- The New Jersey Homeschool Association
Enlightium Academy Enrollment Steps
- To become familiar with the enrollment process at Enlightium Academy, you can watch this short video.
- Consider chatting with an academic consultant to see which teacher support and involvement tuition package would be best with our online curriculum. This will also give you an inside point of contact for questions and comments about our school.
- Toll-free phone number: (866)488-4818
- Once you’re ready to enroll, you’ll need to pay the enrollment fee by visiting here and clicking on the blue button near the top of the page.
- Complete the enrollment form. Here you can elaborate on your student's needs, desires and preferences for the counselor.
- Our admissions team will contact you to discuss the next steps. You’re invited to reach out to us (at the number above) if you have questions at any time.
For any other questions about New Jersey homeschool laws (or online school education in general), please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative education option for educating your child from home. Our program offers the comfort of a homeschool education environment and the quality of private school education curriculum. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of New Jersey, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.