Private School Tax Season: Illinois
Illinois is one of the few states in the U.S. with a tax credit program. For being enrolled in a private school, families in Illinois can receive up to a $250 credit per dependent each school year. Parents can receive a credit of 25% of their expenses after the first $250; the maximum credit a family can receive is $750.
Several states have K–12 private school education tax benefits, deductions, or refund programs. Please keep the following in mind:
- Enlightium Academy is legally a private school, not a homeschool.
- Enlightium Academy is accredited, an important distinction for several states in filing for tax benefits. Enlightium Academy is accredited by AdvancEd and the Association of Christian Schools International. More information can be found here.
- This article is intended to act as the first steps in preparing for filing; speak with a tax professional and/or conduct further research before filing.
- Laws are subject to change. Please note this article’s publication date.
- To receive a credit for a student, the student must be
- A resident of Illinois
- Younger than 21
- Enrolled in kindergarten through 12th grade
- Enrolled full-time in a private school
- The most practical expense for Enlightium Academy parents to request is for tuition credit. Other expenses do qualify, however, such as any activity fees.
- Compared to many other states that offer tax credits, Illinois has made receiving a tax credit for enrolling in a private school relatively easy.
- The following families are not eligible for the credit
- Married families with a federal Adjusted Gross Income that exceeds $500,000
- Non-married families with an Adjusted Gross Income of $250,000
- Families must have a state tax liability of at least the credit owed; this means that the credit must be equal to or less than what is owed.
- Request a Verification of Enrollment from Enlightium Academy.
- Counselor approval is required based on attendance compliance.
For any other questions about Illinois private school laws (or online school education in general), please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative education option for educating your child from home. Our program offers the comfort of a homeschool education environment and the quality of a private school education curriculum. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of Illinois, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.