Private School Tax Season: Minnesota
Minnesota’s K–12 Education Credit program is a refundable tax credit for education expenses outside of tuition. For families enrolled in Enlightium Academy, this can include tutoring minutes, books, and more. This tax credit lowers your family’s total tax liability.
Several states have K–12 private school education tax benefits, deductions, or refund programs. Please keep the following in mind:
- Enlightium Academy is accredited, an important distinction for several states in filing for tax benefits. Enlightium Academy is accredited by AdvancEd and the Association of Christian Schools International. More information can be found here.
- This article is intended to act as the first steps in preparing for filing; speak with a tax professional and/or conduct further research before filing.
- Laws are subject to change. Please note this article’s publication date.
- The tax credit covers 75% of non-tuition education expenses; the cap is $1,000 per child in a family
- The income bracket is complex; variables such as a family's income level and eligible children determine the tax credit
- Parents must be tax filers
- Filing status cannot be married filing separate
- Request a Verification of Enrollment from Enlightium Academy.
- Counselor approval is required based on attendance compliance.
For any other questions about Minnesota private school laws (or online school education in general), please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative education option for educating your child from home. Our program offers the comfort of a homeschool education environment and the quality of a private school education curriculum. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of Minnesota, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.