North Carolina Homeschooling Requirements
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) that has served homeschool, online, and co-op school students in K-12 since 2003. As K-12 education policies are different in each state, it is a parental responsibility to check on their state’s homeschool requirements and fulfill them as applicable. To assist parents with this process, Enlightium provides basic information about each state’s requirements. Parents are also encouraged to review their state’s requirements at hslda.org/legal and/or the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, as educational policies are subject to change over time.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states and Washington D.C.; however, with a freedom to educational opportunities comes a responsibility to understand and fulfill legal requirements. This can be worrisome, yet you’re not alone in this endeavour. Enlightium Academy is here to help!
Please, note that the resources below serve as a starting point for your family; it is important that you research North Carolina’s homeschooling requirements.
North Carolina’s Homeschooling Requirements at a Glance
Notifying the State
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction requires homeschooling families to inform the state of their intent to homeschool using the form found on this website. Your family only needs to do this one time.
When asked for information such as the name of the homeschool owner, the name of the chief administrator, and the homeschool address, use your family’s name and address.
You will need to close out your homeschool by informing the state when you:
- Stop homeschooling (such as upon your student’s graduation), or
- Move out of state
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction requires at least nine months of education each school year. Enlightium’s school calendar has 180 school days, typically over ten months. Additionally, students have access to the courses 24/7 for most days of the school year, including weekends and holidays.
Ages six or younger:
Students are not required to attend school, but can enroll in primary school at Enlightium Academy to have a head start and be ready for Kindergarten.
Ages seven through 16:
Students must continue their education at a school of their parents’ choice until they either graduate or turn 17 years old. This includes homeschooling with Enlightium Academy.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction requires the instructor to have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state and/or ACSI certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. The teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Learn more at our Teachers page.
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and for students in grades 3-10 Bronze support package. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction does not require any specific courses.
After you enroll/re-enroll and before your student starts courses at Enlightium Academy, your student’s counselor will send you an email with a recommended course schedule consisting of core courses and, if applicable, courses that fulfill Enlightium’s graduation requirements. Your student can also select from Enlightium’s elective courses.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction requires families to have their student take a standardized test each year. The assessment must cover:
The test scores must be available for inspection by a representative of the state.
Enlightium provides multiple assessment options:
- Grades 3-8: IXL diagnostic assessments - not recommended for North Carolina students as it does not fulfill a standard assessment requirement
- Grades 3-10: Stanford 10 standardized assessment - tests cover the required material and test scores are provided via email to the parent.
- Grades 9-12: Guidance for college-preparatory assessments such as the SAT and ACT
Immunization is required in the state of North Carolina; therefore, parents are required to keep their children’s immunization records or exemptions for medical or religious reasons. Enlightium Academy does not require student immunization as we serve homeschool students.
Keep a portfolio
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so please keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy which should include:
- Attendance - Enlightium provides your family with weekly progress reports. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
- Curriculum information and samples - Enlightium provides its families with both curriculum overviews by grade level and samples by course.
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide them during the registration process - Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Grades - Enlightium provides report cards for all students after quarters 1 and 3 and report cards/transcripts at the end of semesters 1 and 2.
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, and the Presidential Award.
- Social/Competition Achievements - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
Enlightium Parents App with Group for North Carolina Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in North Carolina to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Your family will be automatically added to this group upon enrolling at Enlightium and downloading the Enlightium Parents app (which is provided upon enrollment).
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process and select the blue button near the top of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
Sources reviewed in June 2021: