California: Online Private School and Homeschool Regulations/Laws
Enlightium Academy is an ideal school for California families. With nationally recognized accreditations AdvancED and ACS. For this, Enlightium Academy upholds higher expectations and accountability from its students.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school, yet since students learn from home, California school district superintendents consider Enlightium Academy students to be homeschool students. This is why a private school affidavit needs to be filed by each family in California individually even though Enlightium Academy is an umbrella under which the parent chose to teach the student at home. Resources for homeschooling requirements in the state of California can be found at the bottom of this article.
Private School Affidavit
California requires private school students to have an affidavit filed each year during the first half of October or when beginning online homeschooling in California if later.
Students aged six and up to 16 years of age be enrolled in a public or private school.
As a family, you should keep copies of the following in your personal records:
- Copy of the completed Private School Affidavit (PSA)
- Attendance records
- Some schools, such as Enlightium Academy use a calendar to show school days along with the progression of the student’s account in Ignitia.
- Qualifications and address of teachers
- When submitting the PSA, your family should list one teacher (being the parent/guardian) as a homeschooling family.
- If needed, Teacher credentials can be found on Enlightium’s Teachers page
- Courses of study offered by the private school. This can be for the school as a whole, by grade, or even by student
- Immunization records. Students attending home-based private schools are not required to be immunized. However, immunization records forms are still required.
- As per a representative of the California Department of Public Health, the child’s doctor provides immunization records to the state; the family does not submit any documentation.
In addition to these required records, parents should also consider creating a cumulative file for their students in case students may want to return to public school. These should include:
- Legal name of the student
- Date of birth, place of birth, and verification of birth date
- Sex of pupil
- Placing a copy of the birth certificate in the file would provide the above information
- Name and address of the parent of the minor pupil
- Entering and leaving date of each school year
- Subjects taken during each year your student is in your school
- Marks, grades, or credits, if given. Grades or report cards are not required
- For high school students, include a current high school transcript, and California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or GED, if applicable
Students must attend a “full-time school”.
While most students are enrolled at Enlightium Academy full-time, part-time students can still complete the full-time requirements separately.
It is optional for a private school to be accredited in the state of California. There are, however, several benefits to being enrolled in an accredited school.
Enlightium Academy is accredited by AdvancED and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). These accrediting agencies hold Enlightium Academy to the highest standards in areas including curriculum, faculty credentials, student expectations, and report cards (K-8) and transcripts (9-10) by an accredited institution such as Enlightium Academy.
Private school instructors must be “capable of teaching”, although actual certification is optional.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, teachers are state and ACSI certified. Faculty members have subject specific Bachelors or Masters degrees. Learn more at EA’s Our Teacher’s page.
While the private school must offer all of the courses below, students are not necessarily required to take all of these courses.
- Grades 1–6:
- Grades 7–12:
- Social Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Physical Education
- World Language
- Applied Arts (such as courses in business, home economics, industrial skills, etc.)
- Vocational-technical education that is designed to prepare students to serve in careers that benefit their communities
- Automobile driver education
- Any other studies that may be prescribed by the governing board
Instruction must take place in English, although the private school may decide when a course can be provided in multiple languages.
Enlightium Academy offers several world languages which are primarily taught in both English and the language being learned.
Students should speak with their college or university of choice to receive all admissions requirements for accredited online high school diploma seeking students and then speak with their high school counselor in order to receive guidance on how to fulfill these requirements.
Admissions Articles by Enlightium Academy
Resources If Your State Considers Your Student a Homeschooler
How to Enroll
- To become familiar with the enrollment process at Enlightium Academy, you can watch this short video.
- Consider chatting with an academic consultant to see which teacher support and involvement tuition package would be best with our online curriculum. This will also give you an inside point of contact for questions and comments about our school.
- Toll-free phone number: (866)488-4818
- Once you’re ready to enroll, you’ll need to pay the enrollment fee by visiting here and clicking on the blue button near the top of the page.
- Complete the enrollment form. Here you can elaborate on your student's needs, desires and preferences for the counselor.
- Our admissions team will contact you to discuss the next steps. You’re invited to reach out to us (at the number above) if you have questions at any time.
For any other questions about California homeschool laws (or online school education in general), please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative education option for educating your child from home. Our program offers the comfort of a homeschool education environment and the quality of a private school education curriculum. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of California, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.