Illinois: Online Private School and Homeschool Regulations/Laws
Illinois has minimal private school requirements in areas such as accreditation, teacher certification, and curriculum standards, although families do have health obligations to fulfill. Tax credits may also be available to families.
Enlightium Academy is an online, private Christian school, but since students learn from home, many school district superintendents consider Enlightium Academy to be a homeschool. This is why it is very important when speaking to your local school district superintendent to note that Enlightium Academy is an accredited, college-prep private school, which should satisfy Illinois state requirements. Resources for homeschooling requirements in the state of Illinois can be found at the bottom of this article.
It is optional for a private school to be accredited in the state of Illinois. There are, however, several benefits to being enrolled in an accredited school.
Enlightium Academy is accredited by AdvancEd and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). These accrediting agencies hold Enlightium Academy to the highest standards in areas including curriculum, faculty credentials, and student expectations.
Illinois does not have any teacher certification requirements.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, teachers are state and ACSI certified. Several faculty members have Masters degrees in their fields. Learn more at Our Teachers page.
According to the Illinois General Assembly website, nonpublic school students must learn “the branches of education taught to children of corresponding age and grade in the public schools.”
Enlightium Academy counselors and faculty members work together to ensure that the curriculum is appropriate for each grade level. Learn more about each course on our Curriculum by Grade Level page.
Students and “visitors” must wear industrial quality eye protective devices for “harmful specified courses.” For Enlightium Academy families, the term “visitors” will likely correspond to parents or anyone else assisting with a science experiment.
Enlightium Academy has required purchase lists for courses that need additional materials. Families are encouraged to review these lists ahead of time to purchase materials as needed. Lists, when applicable, can be found on our Required Purchases page.
Nonpublic school students must have a health examination:
- Within one year prior to entering kindergarten or first grade
- Upon entering fifth grade
- Upon entering ninth grade
If courses at the nonpublic school are taught in English, the Illinois compulsory attendance statute is fulfilled.
Courses at Enlightium Academy are taught in English by default. Enlightium Academy also provides an English Language Learners (ELL) Program to students whose first language is not English. These students receive support in English language learning through modified courses, targeted English language practice and lessons, and instruction by an ELL certified instructor.
Illinois is one of the few states in the U.S. with a tax credit program. For being enrolled in a private school, families in Illinois can receive up to a $250 credit per dependent each school year.
For more information about the tax credit program, review Enlightium’s article “Private School Tax Season: Illinois.”
Admissions Articles by Enlightium Academy
- Steps to Take If Your Homeschool Student Has No Official Records
- 3 Things to Remember When Speaking with Your School District
Resources if Your Local School District Superintendent Considers Your Student a Homeschooler
How to Enroll
- To become familiar with the enrollment process at Enlightium Academy, you can watch this short video.
- Consider chatting with an academic consultant to see which teacher support and involvement tuition package would be best with our online curriculum. This will also give you an inside point of contact for questions and comments about our school.
- Toll-free phone number: (866) 488-4818
- Once you are ready to enroll, you will need to pay the enrollment fee by visiting this page and clicking on the blue button near the top of the page
- Complete the enrollment form, where you can elaborate on your student's needs, desires and preferences for the counselor
- Our admissions team will contact you to discuss the next steps. Please reach out to us through the phone number or email provided above if you have any questions
For any other questions about Illinois private school laws (or online school education in general), please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com. Enlightium Academy is an accredited alternative online education option for educating your child from home. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school that offers a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher-supported, and affordable education. Enlightium Academy meets all accreditation and state education requirements for the State of Illinois, while neither using the state curriculum or Common Core.