Illinois Homeschooling Requirements
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) that has served homeschool, online, and co-op school students in K-12 since 2003. As K-12 education policies are different in each state, it is a parental responsibility to check on one’s state’s homeschool requirements and fulfill them as applicable. To assist parents with this process, Enlightium provides basic information about most states’ requirements. Parents are also encouraged to review their state requirements at hslda.org/legal and the Illinois State Board of Education, as educational policies are subject to change over time.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states; however, with a freedom to educational opportunities comes a responsibility to understand and fulfill legal requirements. This can be worrisome, yet you’re not alone in this endeavour. Enlightium Academy is here to help!
Please note that the resources below serve as a starting point for your family; it is important that you research Illinois homeschooling requirements.
Illinois’s Homeschooling Requirements at a Glance
Ages five or younger:
Students are not required to attend school, but can enroll in primary school at Enlightium Academy to have a head start and be ready for Kindergarten.
Aged six on or before September 1:
They must attend school during that academic year beginning in the fall; this includes homeschooling with Enlightium Academy. Students must continue their education at a school of their parents’ choice until the academic year in which they turn 17 or graduate.
The Illinois State Board of Education does not require students to have teachers with specific credentials or qualifications.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state and/or ACSI certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. The teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Learn more at our Teachers page.
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and for students in grades 3-10 Bronze support package. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support.
The Illinois State Board of Education requires the following subjects:
- Language Arts
- Biology and physical science (considered by Illinois as one combined branch of instruction)
- Social Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Physical Education and Health (considered by Illinois as one combined branch of instruction)
The first four bullet points are core courses at Enlightium Academy and will likely already be assigned by your student’s counselor. The latter two bullet points are electives available at Enlightium Academy.
The Illinois State Board of Education requires that instruction be taught in the English language. At Enlightium Academy, courses are instructed in English with the exception of some World Language courses such as French and Spanish, which may be partially taught in English.
The Illinois State Board of Education does not require a standardized test for homeschooled students. However, Enlightium provides multiple assessment options to help you see how your student is progressing per given grade level:
- Grades 3-8: IXL diagnostic assessments
- Grades 3-10: Stanford 10 standardized assessment
- Grades 9-12: Guidance for college-preparatory assessments such as the PSAT, SAT and/or ACTand ACT
Keep a Portfolio
In Illinois, consider the following:
- Identifying as a private school if working with the government
- Identifying as a homeschool if filling out a FAFSA for college financial aid
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy and include:
- Attendance - Enlightium provides your family with weekly progress reports. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
- Curriculum information and samples - Enlightium provides its families with both curriculum overviews by grade level and samples by course.
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide them during the registration process - Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Grades - Enlightium provides report cards for all students after quarters 1 and 3 and report cards/transcripts at the end of semesters 1 and 2.
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, and the Presidential Award.
- Social/Competition Achievements - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
Enlightium Parents App with Group for Illinois Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in Illinois to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Your family will be automatically added to this group upon enrolling and then downloading the Enlightium Parents app (which is provided upon enrollment).
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about the online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process and select the blue button near the top of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
Sources reviewed in June 2021: