5 Encouraging Bible Verses for Parents of Teenagers
Parenting a teenager comes with many trials and sometimes it is hard for us to know if we are providing our child with sufficient support. Your child is entering new territory in their teen years as they are undergoing many changes both physically and mentally. While your teenager doesn’t come with a specific training manual, God’s Word provides us with some encouraging messages.
1. 2 Timothy 3:16 - “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."
This scripture reminds us that we are not alone! As parents we have a valuable resource, God’s Holy Word, to help us to parent our teenagers. While we don’t have a specific users manual to parent our child, God gave us the Bible to help guide us in training our child in righteous practices.
2. Matthew 28:20b – “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
He will be with us in every stage of life, helping us learn from positive and negative experiences through the Holy Spirit, and by doing so, turning even hurtful experiences to good, for His glory. God reminds us that, no matter how distant we may feel from Him, or how out of control our lives may be, we need to trust His sovereign guidance and persevere as Christians, living in humility and love.
3. 1 John 2:1 - “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.”
Isn’t it great that God loves us so much that he provided an advocate for us –Jesus. When we fail as parents we can take it right to Jesus who will forgive us our sin.
4. 2 Corinthians 12:9 – “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”
As parents we are probably not strangers to moments of weakness. God provides us with a retreat – a resting place – in our weakness.
5. Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
I have found this to be one of my greatest encouragements through my parenting years. At the end of the day, I am not reliant on my own efforts– but the God of the universe will sustain and strengthen me.