Online K-12 Education As A Homeschool Option
Homeschooling has been an option for parents for decades. In the beginning, parents who educated their children at home faced societal backlash. Many felt they were doing their children a disservice.
Homeschooling advocates held fast. They established laws and regulations recognizing teaching one’s children as a right. Today, K-12 online learning is one of the fastest growing educational opportunities in America.
In the 1970s 10,000 children were homeschooled. By 2010, that number had grown to approximately 2 million students. At the last count in 2016, 4.8 million children were full-time, online students.1
Antisocial? We Beg to Differ
The most frequent argument against homeschooling is socialization - or lack thereof. Contrary to popular belief, homeschooled students do collaborate. Online sessions and group projects encourage students to work together. Homeschooled kids play with friends, compete on sports teams, and go on field trips.
Online education offers myriad benefits:
- Self-paced learning - Students can speed up or slow down as needed
- Flexibility to support the needs of diverse learners
- Opportunity to incorporate Biblical principles into daily lessons
- Individual approach to learning helps both gifted and at-risk kids
- Unique course offerings - Dual Enrollment/Concurrent Credit (CC), and Advanced Placement (AP)
Learning Alongside The Kids
Parents benefit too. Online schools can help lighten the burden of record-keeping that accompanies homeschooling. This is especially true in states with strict rules for homeschoolers.
Parents are learning coaches. They provide support at home and help with time management. Parents also seek out and encourage socialization within the church and community.
Enlightium Academy assign students certified teachers. They report on student academic achievement, provide supplemental instruction, conduct assessments, and evaluate students’ work.
Curious about the benefits of online, Christian education and want to learn more? Please visit us at EnlightiumAcademy.com or call (866) 488-4818 option 1. We’re an accredited, alternative online education option for homeschoolers. Enlightium Academy is a private Christian school. We offer a Bible-based, flexible, and affordable education. Our curriculum meets all accreditation and state educational requirements.
- Waters, L. H., Barbour, M. K., & Menchaca, M. P. (2014). The nature of online charter schools: Evolution and emerging concerns. Educational Technology & Society, 17(4), 379-389.