South Carolina Homeschooling Requirements
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) that has served homeschool, online, and co-op school students in K-12 since 2003. As K-12 education policies are different in each state, it is a parental responsibility to check on their state’s homeschool requirements and fulfill them as applicable. To assist parents with this process, Enlightium provides basic information about each state’s requirements. Parents are also encouraged to review their state’s requirements at hslda.org/legal and/or the South Carolina Department of Education, as educational policies are subject to change over time.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states and Washington D.C.; however, with a freedom to educational opportunities comes a responsibility to understand and fulfill legal requirements. This can be worrisome, yet you’re not alone in this endeavour. Enlightium Academy is here to help!
Please note that the resources below serve as a starting point for your family; it is important that you research South Carolina homeschooling requirements.
South Carolina’s Homeschooling Laws at a Glance
There are three homeschooling options in South Carolina. Families with students enrolled at Enlightium Academy may be able to choose Option 3: Homeschooling with a homeschool association. Partnering with Enlightium Academy will allow you to meet this option’s requirements. Under the association South Carolina Department of Education requires the following:
- At least 50 member families. Enlightium Academy has served thousands of students In the U.S. and around the world each year since 2003
- Be in compliance with the association’s requirements. Enlightium Academy’s Family Handbook meets and exceeds this requirement.
The below guidelines are based on option 3.
Ages four or younger:
Students are not required to attend school, but can enroll in primary school at Enlightium Academy to have a head start and be ready for Kindergarten.
Aged five on or before September 1:
They must attend school during that academic year; this includes homeschooling with Enlightium Academy. Students must continue their education at a school of their parents’ choice until they graduate or turn 17 years old.
The South Carolina Department of Education requires the homeschooled students to receive instruction for at least 180 days each school year.
Enlightium’s school calendar has 180 school days (210 days with summer school). Additionally, students have access to the courses 24/7 for most days of the school year, including weekends and holidays.
The South Carolina Department of Education requires the parent/guardian/teacher to have at least a high school diploma or GED.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state and/or ACSI certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. The teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Learn more at our Teachers page.
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and for students in grades 3-10 Bronze support package. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support
The South Carolina Department of Education requires the following subjects:
The above subjects are core courses at Enlightium Academy and should be assigned by your student’s counselor.
Keep a Portfolio
Under Option 3, you will need to keep a record of the following:
- A record of subjects taught - Enlightium sends report cards/transcripts after each quarter which should fulfill this requirement.
- Social Activities - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
- Samples of the student’s work - Enlightium provides its families with scope and sequences and course samples. You can also take screenshots of the curriculum throughout the year.
- Attendance records and progress reports - Enlightium provides your family with weekly progress reports. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy and include:
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide them during the registration process - Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, and the Presidential Award.
Enlightium Parents App with Group for South Carolina Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in South Carolina to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Your family will be automatically added to this group upon enrolling at Enlightium and downloading the Enlightium Parents app (which is provided upon enrollment).
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process and select the blue button near the top of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
Sources reviewed in June 2021: