The Effectiveness of Learning Depends on Who is Teaching
Today, the online model of K12 education impacts students on an individual level.1 Studies show that the effectiveness of education appears to have more to do with who is teaching the student than any other factor.2 Technology opens the door to new methods of learning! Yet, while the technology itself is a powerful tool, knowing how to use it well requires wisdom, knowledge, experience, and the professional judgment of teachers.
Technology allows students to have more teacher interaction since teachers can focus their attention on one learner instead of a classroom of students. Online teachers can also address student questions individually which allows students to be open and inquisitive with much less anxiety than if they had to ask the same questions in a classroom setting.
Researchers discovered that the interactive nature of online learning, facilitated by warm and genuine dialogue, changes the way teachers and students relate to one another.
Online learning has the capability to provide equitable access to an accredited, high-quality education to students from all school districts, as well as to low-achieving students and students with learning challenges.
The most commonly discussed benefits of online school are:3
- Enhanced communication. In online learning, students feel more empowered to share their ideas and are less afraid to pose questions to teachers.
- Accommodations of different learning styles. In online learning, materials are presented in different ways that benefit students with needs. Also, students may receive more one-on-one attention than in a traditional classroom setting.
- Unlimited access to curriculum and instruction. Online learning provides access to curriculum and instruction at any time and place. This provides students with a level of freedom that is unavailable in a brick-and-mortar school.
- Frequent assessment. In online learning, immediate feedback allows instructors to change the delivery of their content, as well as care for the weaknesses and highlight the strengths of each student.
- Access to teachers. Online learning allows a student in one location to “share” their instructors with students located on the other side of the world.
Why should your child learn at Enlightium Academy?
Enlightium Academy has developed a unique, Christ-honoring school culture where collaboration, respect, faith, compassion, and caring for others are consistently and effectively modeled by teachers. Here is what parents are saying about Enlightium’s teachers:4
- “As a parent, I understand that my gift mix does not include teaching math and English, so having strong teacher support was critical for our household.” (Parent of a 7th-grade student, Arizona)
- “Other factors outside of the major need to find a Christian-based education were the quality and affordability of the education; the different levels of teacher support was also important.” (Parent of an 11th-grade student, Maryland)
- “Helping a student that has an unusual issue and giving them the ability to learn.” (Parent of a 10th-grade student, New York)
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher-supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (509) 319-2288, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
3.Hassel, B. C., & Terrell, M. G. (2009). How can virtual schools be a vibrant part of meeting the choice provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act? Retrieved from http://www.doe.virginia.gov/federal_programs/esea/title1/part_a/archive/