Vermont Homeschooling Requirements
Enlightium Academy is an approved private Christian school that is accredited by Cognia and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) that has served homeschool, online, and co-op school students in K-12 since 2003. As K-12 education policies are different in each state, it is a parental responsibility to check on their state’s homeschool requirements and fulfill them as applicable. To assist parents with this process, Enlightium provides basic information about each state’s requirements. Parents are also encouraged to review their state’s requirements at hslda.org/legal and/or the Vermont Agency of Education, as educational policies are subject to change over time.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states and Washington D.C.; however, with a freedom to educational opportunities comes a responsibility to understand and fulfill legal requirements. This can be worrisome, yet you’re not alone in this endeavour. Enlightium Academy is here to help!
Please note that the resources below serve as a starting point for your family; it is important that you research Vermont homeschooling requirements.
Vermont’s Homeschooling Requirements at a Glance
Notifying the State
The Vermont Agency of Education requires homeschooling families to inform the state of their intent to homeschool every year. This notice includes the following:
Each homeschooled student’s:
- Age (by year and month)
- Review of the student’s academic progress from the year before, if applicable
- Professional evidence of a disability, if applicable
- Mailing address (including town of legal residence)
- Phone number
- Signature, if legally authorized to make education decisions on behalf of the student
You will also need to include information concerning instructors outside of physical education, health, and fine arts courses:
- Students in grades PreK-2 and students in the Bronze package: The parent acts as the teacher, so no additional information should be necessary.
- All other students: You will receive a welcome letter from your student’s teachers with their information when the student starts that course. The teacher’s information can also be found at our Teachers page. Enlightium’s main office addresses, if needed, can be found at the bottom of our website.
Additionally, include a narrative of the content for each subject area. This is not required if you have already completed two consecutive years at Enlightium Academy with successful grades and progress, unless your student is 12 years old at the time of filing.
- Content for subject areas can be found on Enlightium’s scope and sequences.
- Any disability should have an outline of the student’s accommodations.
Ages five or younger:
Students are not required to attend school, but can enroll in primary school at Enlightium Academy to have a head start and be ready for Kindergarten.
Ages six through 16:
Students must continue their education at a school of their parents’ choice until they either graduate or turn 17. This includes homeschooling with Enlightium Academy.
The Vermont Agency of Education does not require homeschool students to have teachers with specific credentials or qualifications.
As a part of Enlightium Academy’s dual accreditation, Enlightium teachers are state and/or ACSI certified. A number of our faculty members have Masters and Doctorate degrees in their fields. The teacher-led support packages are available for students in grades 3-12. Learn more at our Teachers page.
Enlightium Academy also offers parent-led options for grades PreK-2 and for students in grades 3-10 Bronze support package. Under the parent-led option, parents act as teachers while Enlightium Academy provides grading and guidance support.
The Vermont Agency of Education requires the following subjects:
- Basic communication skills (reading, writing, etc.)/English, American, and other literature
- The “use of numbers”
- Citizenship/History/Vermont Government/U.S. Government
- Natural sciences
- Fine Arts
- Health (including effects of tobacco, alcohol, and drugs on the human system and society)
- Physical Education
The first four bullet points are core courses at Enlightium Academy and will likely already be assigned by your student’s counselor. The latter three bullet points are electives available at Enlightium Academy.
The Vermont Agency of Education requires homeschool students to take a standardized assessment every year. The results must be submitted to the state when you file your intent to homeschool for the upcoming school year.
Enlightium provides multiple assessment options:
- Grades 3-8: IXL diagnostic assessments - not recommended for Vermont students as it does not fulfill a standard assessment requirement
- Grades 3-8: Iowa Complete standardized assessment
- Grades 9-12: Guidance for college-preparatory assessments such as the SAT and ACT
Parents of students in grades PreK-2 can ask Enlightium’s Primary School Counselor to prepare a report which will include work samples demonstrating progress in each subject area.
Keep a Portfolio
You may need to provide your state with additional information, so please keep a digital record every year you are enrolled at Enlightium Academy which should include:
- Attendance - Enlightium provides your family with weekly progress reports. You can screenshot the details in these emails to show attendance.
- Curriculum information and samples - Enlightium provides its families with both curriculum overviews by grade level and samples by course.
- Academic plans - Enlightium Academy counselors provide them during the registration process - Primary School (PreK-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12).
- Grades - Enlightium provides report cards for all students after quarters 1 and 3 and report cards/transcripts at the end of semesters 1 and 2.
- Test scores - This can include occasional screenshots of test scores and/or standardized assessment scores.
- Academic Awards - Enlightium provides qualifying students with certificates for Honor Roll, Scholar’s List, Dean’s List, and the Presidential Award.
- Social/Competition Achievements - Enlightium holds social events and competitions throughout the school year, such as art competitions and spelling bees.
Enlightium Parents App with Group for Vermont Families
Enlightium Academy has an app and desktop platform for families of currently enrolled students. Within this app is a group just for families living in Vermont to inform and support each other in fulfilling your state’s homeschooling requirements.
Your family will be automatically added to this group upon enrolling at Enlightium and downloading the Enlightium Parents app (which is provided upon enrollment).
Ready to Enroll at Enlightium Academy?
- Explore Enlightium Academy’s website or watch this video about online homeschooling.
- If you have any questions:
- Chat with a team member
- Call (866) 488-4818 option 2
- Ready to enroll? Click here to start the enrollment process and select the blue button near the top of the page.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (866) 488-4818, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.
Sources reviewed in June 2021: