ENG1020 English Composition
This course is designed to introduce students to college-level writing. Through a variety of essay types, students will learn how to construct an essay through explanations of its parts and through practice. Students will learn to support their essays’ theses and to use proper grammar and mechanics throughout. Students will learn to analyze arguments and present a defense. Students will also demonstrate knowledge of writing in a variety of essay types and will demonstrate critical thinking skills and understanding of literary analysis methods through writing and discussions.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate in writing how to appropriately organize and structure an essay in MLA format
- Attain an understanding of and develop skills in writing the different types of essays: research, analysis, compare and contrast, narrative, descriptive, and responses
- Read and analyze novels and other mediums of writing (including short stories, articles, and scholarly journals)
- Analyze sources and source types in a critical and logical way
- Express critical thinking skills and logic through discussions and writing
- Demonstrate in writing accepted grammatical conventions and writing mechanics
- Demonstrate an ability to write a structured argument around a thesis statement
- Critically analyze arguments and defend a position
Throughout the course, students will explore the following topics:
- Grammar and mechanics
- Rhetorical appeals and devices
- Critical reading strategies
- Modes and types of writing
- Literary discussions
- MLA formatting
- The research process
- Essay writing
- Analysis of arguments and literature
- Elements of a story
- Poetic elements and analysis
For NNU credit, the course to count for General Education requirements, a student must earn a grade of C- or better. The student would still receive credit from Enlightium Academy if they pass the course.
Grade 11–12: 1 Credit at Enlightium Academy, 3 Credits at NNU
- Completion of English I with a B or better
- Completion of English II with a B or better
- Completion of English III with a B or better
Dual Enrollment (Concurrent Credit) Courses Price Chart
Additional payment (if applicable) is due within 30 days of enrollment. The Accounting Department will reach out via email to arrange a payment. Discounts do not apply to Dual Enrollment courses.
For more general information about Dual Enrollment Courses, and a list of all Dual Enrollment courses offered by Enlightium Academy, please visit the Dual Enrollment (Concurrent Credit) Courses page.
Get Started with Enlightium Academy Full-Time
Enlightium Academy has year-long open enrollment, so you can start this course as well as others at any time! Full time students can save up to 25% off tuition and have more support options available based on their need and budget. Visit the tuition page to learn more about our pricing. 1st Semester is from August 22nd to December 23rd. 2nd Semester is from January 9th to June 2nd. Have questions first? Call us at 866-488-4818.