What is an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP)?
Some states may require families to submit an IHIP. Additionally, New York families that have filed an intent to homeschool with their local school district superintendent (also known as the Superintendent of Schools) and are enrolled with Enlightium Academy must submit an IHIP to the state that is signed by their student’s guidance counselor.
What is an IHIP?
An Individualized Home Instruction Plan, or IHIP for short, is a report provided to the state that may include:
- A syllabus of each subject
- Curriculum materials
- Textbooks/ebooks to be used including the name, publisher, and copyright data
- A course’s scope and sequence of instruction
- Student progress percentage and score (this can be covered by a report card)
- Annual assessment information
How do I know if I need to submit an IHIP for my student?
For states that require an IHIP, when a student is withdrawn from a school and the family identifies Enlightium Academy as the new school, the previous school should provide a packet to the family which will include the IHIP. The packet should provide direction for submission and a template IHIP.
To see if your state requires an IHIP, you can check our state blogs and/or do more research online. If you find details about the IHIP, consider speaking to your local school district superintendent. If you do not see anything about an IHIP requirement, your family most likely does not need to submit an IHIP.
How often do I have to submit an IHIP?
An IHIP will likely need to be submitted once a year, although the IHIP may require quarterly report cards to show a student’s progress throughout the year. Families can speak to their local school district superintendent for direction.
How do I start the process of creating an IHIP?
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to fill out all forms required by their state and/or school district. Enlightium counselors are available to assist parents and guide them in the right direction with gathering the required information.
How can I request help creating an IHIP?
An IHIP requires extensive documentation. Please reach out to your student’s counselor as soon as possible to initiate the process. Counselors are able to provide the following:
- A generic non-state-specific form for the parent to fill out
- If applicable, a link to the New York Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) form for the parent to fill out. You should be able to find this form on New York’s .edu website.
- A “Time Spent in the Curriculum” report
- A link to information about Enlightium’s curriculum
- Other information, as applicable
In case you need to find information about a specific teacher, it can be found within the student’s Ignitia account.
Enlightium Academy is a private Christian online school that serves homeschooling families by offering a Bible-based, flexible, accredited, teacher-supported, and affordable education from the comfort of your home. For any other questions about Enlightium, please call (509) 319-2288, or visit EnlightiumAcademy.com.